|FRESH MEAT: 500X College Expo Opening October 15, 7-10pmJurors: Cris Worley and Erick SwensonSubmissions Deadline: Sept 28, 2011 About FRESH MEAT: 500X College Expo500X Gallery, Texas' oldest artist-run space, continues our annual juried show for college students! Like the annual Expo juried show, FRESH MEAT: 500X College Expo aims to bring together artists from around the state. The exhibition offers college students an opportunity to enter into a dialogue with their Texas-based counterparts and to see work by their colleagues at other institutions. The exhibition will offer visitors an overview of the variety of perspectives that exist throughout colleges and universities in Texas.
- To submit work, please visit http://500x.slideroom.com
- The exhibition is open to all artists enrolled in college-level courses in Texas.
- The entry fee is $30 for up to 5 images (includes details of work).
- All visual media are eligible, including drawing, painting, photography, sculpture, installation and video (artist must supply all required electronic equipment).
- Artists will be notified via email Wednesday, October 5 by 8pm if the work has been accepted into the exhibition. If you do not receive an email, your work has not been accepted.
- Work must be exhibition ready (with securely attached D-rings, cleats, etc). Works without hanging hardware- even if accepted by the juror- will be accepted for the exhibition, and there will be no refund of the entry fee.
- Complex installations will be considered only if the artist is available to install.
- During drop-off, accepted entrants must show a current student ID and a printout of their Fall 2011 class schedule; there are no exceptions to this rule.
- Securely label each work with your name, title of work, media, dimensions, date of execution, and price. You will be asked to fill out a form with this information for our records again on site.
- The gallery retains a 40% commission on all artwork sold during the exhibition.
About the Jurors Cris Worley has over a decade of expertise in the field of contemporary art. She has successfully directed two prior art galleries, most recently the Dallas branch of the internationally known PanAmerican Art Projects. In January 2010, she launched Cris Worley Fine Arts, a full-service art consulting and advisory firm, opening an exhibition space in Dallas, Texas shortly thereafter. Cris holds a Master's Degree in Art History from Southern Methodist University and a BFA in Art History from the University of the South. In the last 10 years, Cris Worley has participated in art fairs throughout the US, Canada and Europe, including Scope Basel, Switzerland, The Los Angeles Art Show, and Art Toronto, and has programmed and curated over 70 exhibitions.
Erick Swenson is a Dallas-based artist who graduated from UNT in 1999 with a BFA in Painting and Drawing, and he is currently represented by James Cohen Gallery in New York. His work was included in the 2004 Whitney Biennial. He has exhibited at the Saatchi Gallery in London, the UCLA Hammer Museum, the Shanghai MOCA, the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Lausanne, Switzerland. His works are in the collections of the Dallas Museum of Art, the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston, and the Fort Worth Modern. In a recent Art Papers review, Felica Feaster writes- "There is heartbreak beneath the gorgeously slick surfaces and the rock-and-roll edge of Erick Swenson's art. This odd combination generates conflicting emotions: enrapturement at all that sexy, juicy technique, then despair at the vast gaping loneliness of existence that the Dallas, Texas-based sculptor summons up with his potent work." CalendarSeptember 1 - September 28, 2011: Submission of work online athttp://500x.slideroom.comOctober 5, 2011: Accepted artists notified by 8pmOctober 8 & 9, 2011, 2-5pm: Artists drop-off workOctober 15, 2011: Opening ReceptionOctober 30, 2010: Exhibition EndsOctober 31 & Nov 1, 2011, 5-7pm: Artists Pick-Up Work